The U.S. and Missouri funding opportunities and incentives listed and linked below are for financial incentives that promote renewable energy and energy efficiency – those designed primarily for residents, businesses, and other end-users rather than funding opportunities for research & development, outreach, or inter-governmental programs.
For more information on research, development, and demonstration funding opportunities available from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy, visit its website.
New federal and state programs and incentives will be added as they become available. If there are other energy-related grants, loans, tax incentives or other financial opportunities that we should include here, please email us.
Utility Energy Efficiency Resources
See the following investor-owned utility websites for available programs:
- Ameren Missouri (Residential Programs)
- Ameren Missouri (Business Programs)
- Boone Electric Cooperative
- Empire Electric
- Empire Gas
- KCP&L (Residential Programs)
- KCP&L (Business Programs)
- MGE (Residential Programs)
- MGE (Business Programs)
- Spire Inc.
Federal Tax Incentives
These pages include newest federal updates for federal tax credits on energy efficient heating and cooling equipment, windows, doors, water heaters, biomass stoves, solar energy systems, small wind energy systems, fuel cells and vehicles.
- Federal Tax Credits for Energy Efficiency (ENERGY STAR main page)
- Tax Incentives Frequently Asked Questions (ENERGY STAR FAQ)
- Federal Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency (DSIRE database)
- Consumer Energy Tax Incentives (U.S. Department of Energy)
- The Tax Incentives Assistance Project (TIAP)
- IRS.gov - Energy Incentives for Individuals in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act
- All Missouri Energy Incentives -- DSIRE database (Database of State Incentives for Renewables and Efficiency)
Personal Income Tax Deduction
Missouri Certified Home Energy Audits --Beginning Jan. 1, 2009, any taxpayer who paid an individual certified by the Missouri Department of Natural Resources to complete a home energy audit may deduct 100 percent of the costs incurred for the audit and the implementation of any energy efficiency recommendations made by the auditor. The maximum yearly subtraction may not exceed $1,000, for a single taxpayer or a married couple filing a combined return. For all years in which you incur expenses, the maximum total subtraction you may claim is $2,000.To qualify for the deduction, you must have incurred expenses in the year you are filing a claim, and the expenses incurred must not have been excluded from your federal adjusted gross income or reimbursed through any other state or federal program. Unless extended, the tax deduction expires Dec. 31, 2013.
Sales Tax Exemptions
- Show-Me Green Sales Tax Holiday (Missouri Department of Revenue)
Every year from April 19-25, sales of qualifying ENERGY STAR labeled new appliances are exempt from state sales tax. Local jurisdictions can choose annually whether to participate in the Show-Me Green Sales Tax Holiday. This Department of Revenue page includes information for consumers, businesses and cities.
Commercial, Industrial, Government and Other Non-Residential Incentives
- Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE)
- Missouri Alternative Fuel Infrastructure Tax Credit
- Qualified Energy Conservation Bonds
Division of Energy Programs
- Energy Loan Program
The Division of Energy, through the Energy Loan Program, provides loans to public schools, universities, colleges, cities, counties, public hospitals and water treatment plants to help reduce energy costs. This loan financing may be used for various energy-saving investments.
- Weatherization Assistance Program
The department's Division of Energy administers federal and other funds to 16 regional Community Action Agencies, one city government and one not-for-profit organization. Applicants for low-income weatherization program services should apply to their local weatherization agency.
- Wood Energy Tax Credit Application, Form--780-1305